|By Marketwired .||
|January 9, 2013 04:30 PM EST||
CORK, IRELAND -- (Marketwire) -- 01/09/13 -- SolarWinds (NYSE: SWI), a leading provider of powerful and affordable IT management software, today released results of a survey of network administrators, the second part of a comprehensive survey which last month announced findings for systems administrators. The results show a striking similarity between both groups in job satisfaction and optimism, experience and loyalty, as well as how they like to spend their free time and even their favorite video games and geek TV shows. The survey also uncovered some on-the-job differences between the groups.
These results are part of a wide-ranging survey of 400 UK-based systems administrators (sysadmins) and 400 UK-based network administrators (netadmins), conducted in October 2012 to understand the IT professional in both their professional and personal lives. Despite an overwhelming majority of each group agreeing there are now more responsibilities and demands on their time, the overarching results find IT workers to be model employees: experienced, optimistic and confident in their companies, loyal and satisfied in their job roles.
- High levels of overall job enjoyment: Though both groups enjoy their jobs, netadmins demonstrate slightly higher job satisfaction. More netadmins (72 percent) expressed enjoyment in their jobs compared with sysadmins (67 percent). Both groups felt appreciated by their organization with 55 percent of netadmins and 53 percent of sysadmins. The most enjoyable thing about their jobs? Over 70 percent of netadmins and sysadmins agree it's solving problems -- the top answer for both groups.
- New Year's projections: System and network admins overall believe their 2013 budgets will likely remain flat. Thirty-nine percent of these IT pros expect no change from 2012. Nonetheless, both groups remain optimistic for the New Year: 69 percent of netadmins and 65 percent of sysadmins agree 2013 will be a better year for their companies.
- Loyalty towards and confidence in their companies: Both netadmins and sysadmins are loyal to their companies, with 43 percent of sysadmins and 38 percent of netadmins and having worked at their jobs for 10 years or more or never having changed jobs. Seventy-seven percent of netadmins and 71 percent of sysadmins expressed that they have some level of trust in the senior/executive leadership of the company. The numbers were even higher for trust in IT leadership, with 81 percent of netadmins and 74 percent of sysadmins expressing some level of trust.
- Feeling supported: A key shared viewpoint among both groups is that they feel supported and empowered to do their jobs in various ways. A majority of both groups feel they have adequate tools and software support from the organisation and ongoing training and skills development. Netadmins, however, receive slightly more support, with 67 percent versus 62 percent of sysadmins saying they have adequate tools and software; 61 percent versus 56 percent having adequate organisational support; and 57 versus 50 percent having adequate ongoing skills training and development. However universally, most IT pros -- 70 percent of both groups -- feel their work is not well understood by others in the company.
- Responsibility and compensation: As may be expected, netadmins have a wider range of responsibilities compared with their sysadmin counterparts. As a result, netadmins also spend more free time working, with 46 percent indicating they spend a "significant" amount of time completing tasks, compared with 44 percent of sysadmins.
- Similar frustrations: On both sides, sysadmins and netadmins have similar frustrations: too little pay but too much to do and increasing workloads, not having enough budget and a lack of appreciation from the company.
- Ambitions: In five years, 37 percent of netadmins and 30 percent of sysadmins see themselves as IT department head. However, only five percent of netadmins and four percent of sysadmins think they would make it as CIO. Interestingly, there is some desire between the groups to switch job roles: 19 percent of netadmins say they will cross over to systems management, while 12 percent of sysadmins say they will be netadmins in five years.
"Our survey reveals that IT pros are a remarkable and resilient bunch," said Kevin Thompson, President and CEO, SolarWinds. "They are unsung heroes in many companies, but they are incredibly loyal and motivated despite the scope of work they do and the demand of work on their time both on and off the job. It's essential for companies to understand what drives netadmins and sysadmins to perform and give them the support that helps make their jobs easier in order to retain these valuable employees."
As with their professional lives, network administrators and systems administrators show some remarkable similarities in their personal lives and preferences.
- Personality traits: More than 50 percent of both groups say they are hardworking, the top personality trait chosen, closely followed by friendly.
- Gadgets of choice: Respondents have indicated a preference for Android over iPhone for their personal smartphone, with 38 percent for the Google platform compared to 32 percent for Apple. An overwhelming majority of netadmins and sysadmins are PC users with 83 and 81 percent respectively.
- What they watch: The top sci-fi TV show for both groups was "Star Trek," followed by "The X-Files" and "The Simpsons." But on the big screen, "Lord of the Rings" and "Star Wars" both won the top movie franchise spot, closely followed by "The Matrix."
- What they drink: If they aren't working during their free time, netadmins and sysadmins like to enjoy a brew after work. Thirty percent of IT pros prefer some kind of beer to drink in their off time. Wine is also a favoured off-duty drink for a little under 20 percent of respondents.
- More similarities: Both groups list Batman as their favorite superhero; rock music as the genre of choice; and compact cars as current vehicles. The top three answers for what they like to do in their free time were the same between the two groups: 1) spending time with family and friends; 2) unwinding at home; and 3) surfing the web.
Demographically, two-thirds of both groups were male. Slightly more netadmins than sysadmins have advanced degrees, with 59 percent of netadmins having at least a bachelor's degree compared with 53 percent of sysadmins. Netadmins were also a bit more experienced, with 63 percent indicating more than 8 years of experience versus 59 percent of sysadmins.
SolarWinds (NYSE: SWI) provides powerful and affordable IT management software to customers worldwide from Fortune 500 enterprises to small businesses. In all of our market areas, our approach is consistent. We focus exclusively on IT Pros and strive to eliminate the complexity that they have been forced to accept from traditional enterprise software vendors. SolarWinds delivers on this commitment with unexpected simplicity through products that are easy to find, buy, use and maintain while providing the power to address any IT management problem on any scale. Our solutions are rooted in our deep connection to our user base, which interacts in our online community, thwack, to solve problems, share technology and best practices, and directly participate in our product development process. Learn more today at http://www.solarwinds.com/.
PDF Attachment Available: http://media.marketwire.com/attachments/201301/117286_Solarwinds_comparison_UK.pdf
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2197671
Recent technology advances in miniaturization has positioned the wearables as the pinnacle of technology convergence with the human body. We inquire if wearables are mere standard miniaturized devices extended with the connectivity and present our views on considerations like design, applications, performance, efficiency, interoperability, usage scenarios, human device interaction and consequent trade-offs enabling wearables to impart optimal value.
Apr. 25, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,121
WebRTC Summit has announced today that Peter Dunkley has been named summit chair of WebRTC Summit 2015 New York. The 4th International WebRTC Summit will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in Manhattan, New York. @ThingsExpo anticipates 90% of WebRTC companies & developers will monetize their products & services through IoT by 2016. Peter Dunkley is Technical Director at Acision. He graduated from The University of Edinburgh in 2000 with a BSc (Hons) in Computer Science. After graduation Peter worked on a PSTN switch developing signalling stacks for SS7, ISDN and simi...
Apr. 25, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,150
In this session we look at creating interactive communications via the web by adding messaging, file transfer, and group communication (group chat and audio/video conferencing) into the web experience. We will also discuss potential applications of this technology in areas including B2B, B2C, P2P, and gaming. Peter is Technical Director at Acision. He graduated from The University of Edinburgh in 2000 with a BSc (Hons) in Computer Science. After graduation Peter worked on a PSTN switch developing signalling stacks for SS7, ISDN and similar protocols and creating advanced routing and serv...
Apr. 25, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,173
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, phone and digital TV services to consumers primarily in rural areas.
Apr. 25, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,182
Participants will reach the final if their IoT solution is liked. A community vote will determine the best solutions submitted in each country, after which an expert jury will select the national winners and the best international IoT solution. Each country's best solution can win a national marketing campaign worth up to €30,000 and become a partner in Deutsche Telekom's participating markets. The winning international solution can become partner of Deutsche Telekom Group across all eight countries and reach out to a potential of 10,8 million business customers. Deutsche Telekom Group has a...
Apr. 25, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,167
SYS-CON Events announced today that ProfitBricks, the provider of painless cloud infrastructure, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY., and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ProfitBricks is the IaaS provider that offers a painless cloud experience for all IT users, with no learning curve. ProfitBricks boasts flexible cloud servers and networking, an integrated Data Center Designer tool f...
Apr. 25, 2015 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,755
SYS-CON Events announced today that kintone has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. kintone promotes cloud-based workgroup productivity, transparency and profitability with a seamless collaboration space, build your own business application (BYOA) platform, and workflow automation system.
Apr. 25, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,706
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dyn, the worldwide leader in Internet Performance, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Dyn is a cloud-based Internet Performance company. Dyn helps companies monitor, control, and optimize online infrastructure for an exceptional end-user experience. Through a world-class network and unrivaled, objective intelligence into Internet conditions, Dyn ensures traffic gets delivered faster, safer, and more reliably than ever.
Apr. 25, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,525
SYS-CON Events announced today that Open Data Centers (ODC), a carrier-neutral colocation provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Open Data Centers is a carrier-neutral data center operator in New Jersey and New York City offering alternative connectivity options for carriers, service providers and enterprise customers.
Apr. 25, 2015 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,856
SYS-CON Events announced today that On the Avenue Marketing Group, a sales and marketing firm that utilizes events to market and sell products to consumers, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. On the Avenue Marketing Group (OTA) is a sales and marketing firm that utilizes events to market and sell products to consumers. On behalf of our clients, we attend thousands of fairs, festivals, expos, concerts, conferences, and sporting events annually, helping them reach millions of individuals ...
Apr. 25, 2015 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,481
SYS-CON Events announced today that ActiveState, the leading independent Cloud Foundry and Docker-based PaaS provider, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. ActiveState believes that enterprises gain a competitive advantage when they are able to quickly create, deploy and efficiently manage software solutions that immediately create business value, but they face many challenges that prevent them from doing so. The Company is uniquely positioned to help address these challenges thro...
Apr. 25, 2015 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,141
SYS-CON Events announced today that Vitria Technology, Inc. will exhibit at SYS-CON’s @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Vitria will showcase the company’s new IoT Analytics Platform through live demonstrations at booth #330. Vitria’s IoT Analytics Platform, fully integrated and powered by an operational intelligence engine, enables customers to rapidly build and operationalize advanced analytics to deliver timely business outcomes for use cases across the industrial, enterprise, and consumer segments.
Apr. 25, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,629
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo® and DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo® and DevOps Summit 2015 Silicon Valley, which will take place November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Apr. 25, 2015 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,036
The WebRTC Summit 2015 New York, to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 16th International Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, Big Data Expo, and DevOps Summit.
Apr. 25, 2015 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,442
SYS-CON Events announced today that Akana, formerly SOA Software, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo® New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Akana’s comprehensive suite of API Management, API Security, Integrated SOA Governance, and Cloud Integration solutions helps businesses accelerate digital transformation by securely extending their reach across multiple channels – mobile, cloud and Internet of Things. Akana enables enterprises to share data as APIs, connect and integrate applications, drive part...
Apr. 25, 2015 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,028
SYS-CON Events announced today that CommVault has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. A singular vision – a belief in a better way to address current and future data management needs – guides CommVault in the development of Singular Information Management® solutions for high-performance data protection, universal availability and sim...
Apr. 25, 2015 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,032
SYS-CON Events announced today that SafeLogic has been named “Bag Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo® New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. SafeLogic provides security products for applications in mobile and server/appliance environments. SafeLogic’s flagship product CryptoComply is a FIPS 140-2 validated cryptographic engine designed to secure data on servers, workstations, appliances, mobile devices, and in the Cloud.
Apr. 25, 2015 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,109
BroadSoft on Tuesday announced that it is a recipient of the 2014 Frost & Sullivan Market Leadership Award in the Hosted/Cloud Internet Protocol (IP) Telephony market for Latin America. According to Frost & Sullivan market research, the Latin America (LATAM) hosted/cloud Internet Protocol (IP) telephony market, including integrated unified communications and collaboration (UC&C) applications, is currently experiencing a rapid growth trajectory and is expected to exhibit a tenfold rise in annual revenues in the 2013-2020 period. With more than 600 cloud deployments internationally, BroadSoft w...
Apr. 25, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,375
SYS-CON Events announced today that StorPool Storage will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. StorPool is distributed storage software that allows service providers, enterprises and other cloud builders to run data storage on standard x86 servers, instead of using expensive and inefficient storage arrays (SAN).
Apr. 25, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,232
The best mobile applications are augmented by dedicated servers, the Internet and Cloud services. Mobile developers should focus on one thing: writing the next socially disruptive viral app. Thanks to the cloud, they can focus on the overall solution, not the underlying plumbing. From iOS to Android and Windows, developers can leverage cloud services to create a common cross-platform backend to persist user settings, app data, broadcast notifications, run jobs, etc. This session provides a high level technical overview of many cloud services available to mobile app developers, includi...
Apr. 25, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,350