|By Marketwired .||
|January 31, 2013 12:00 PM EST||
VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA -- (Marketwire) -- 01/31/13 --
Editors Note: There is a video associated with this press release.
Shnarped Hockey - a Vancouver-based tech startup - is creating a buzz across the hockey world by connecting fans with many of their favourite professional hockey players.
Two of Shnarped's three cofounders met at the UBC Sauder School of Business last year while completing their MBA, and they credit the Vancouver startup scene with much of their recent success. Shnarped operates out of the Launch Academy incubator in gastown alongside 50 other tech startup companies. "The Vancouver community has been an unbelievably supportive place for us to be; people of varying backgrounds have stepped up to help us in every facet of our business, in particular our classmates at Sauder and our peers at the Launch Academy," says Kamil Sikorski, CTO.
Since the 119-day lockout angered many fans into ambivalence, teams and players alike have been looking to connect with fans in a more personal way. The players themselves are rapidly turning to Shnarped's interactive platform to engage their fans and earn back their trust.
"There is a massive, senseless disconnect between the players and the fans that has been exacerbated by the recent lockout," said Dustin Sproat, CEO of Shnarped Hockey. "Shnarped bridges this gap with our interactive 'pound' feature, creating a social environment that is fan, youth, and player-friendly. We are passionate about the values and people that embody the sport of hockey, and hope that our platform can help grow and unite hockey communities around the world."
Being connected is about the details. Shnarped grabbed the attention of the pros by creating dynamic player profiles that combine bio and contract information, current and career statistics, and twitter feeds into one place through an iPhone app (an Android version is intended soon). Fans can interact with pros by sending them a 'pound' (like a fist-bump) with a message, and pros that are verified as regular users can see these messages and show their appreciation by sending a pound-back to the fan.
Here's what the pros are saying:
Erik Condra of the Ottawa Senators
"Receiving 'pounds' is like extending home-ice advantage and bringing our fans on the road... it feels great to be recognized for your efforts."
Jonathan Quick of the L.A. Kings
"The 'pound-back' feature is great. It lets us return all the support we get, sort of like raising your stick to the fans one-by-one."
Over 150 pro players are verified as regular users of the app, including 30 NHL players across 14 different markets. Shnarped has verified pros in: Toronto (Matt Frattin), Philadelphia (Eric Wellwood), Edmonton (Sam Gagner), Montreal (Brendan Gallagher), Vancouver (Jim Vandermeer), and Chicago (Brandon Bollig), as well as Tampa Bay, St. Louis, San Jose, Dallas, Carolina, Minnesota, Los Angeles, and Ottawa.
Kevin Westgarth - notable CBA participant and recent Stanley Cup champion with the LA Kings - had this to say about Shnarped: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNk1_Lvh_VU.
Hockey fans can download Shnarped Hockey for free in the iTunes App store. (http://ow.ly/hhWDo)
- The Zacks Analyst Blog Highlights: Ford Motor, Microsoft, Volkswagen, General Motors, Autodesk, Apple, Google and Adobe Systems
- WSO2 Carbon, WSO2 API Manager and WSO2 Governance Registry Increase Speed, Scalability and High Availability Through Hazelcast
- 4.7 Billion Mobile WebRTC Devices by 2018
- Cisco's New Collaboration Solutions To Support WebRTC
- Innovative Products, Financial Results Schedule, Annual General Meeting, and Mortgage Survey Results - Research Report on Google, TripAdvisor, Akamai, Bitauto, and Bankrate
- Global Cloud Computing Services Industry
- The Race for Sensors to Supply Big Data and Enterprise Mobility
- Kobo Sets Sights On Billion-Reader Opportunity As It Introduces World-Class eReading Experience To India
- Flexera Software Enhances InstallAnywhere 2013, Further Enabling 64-Bit, Multi-Tiered Virtualized and Cloud Installations
- The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache™ Hadoop™ 2
- Small Business Essentials: Why You Should Never Finish Your Website
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of October 27, 2013
- TokBox Launches WebRTC Support
- SYS-CON Announces WebRTC Summit
- Twilio Announces Business Critical Apps in the Cloud
- Oracle Communications Unveils WebRTC Session Controller
- Amazon and Apple: Different Paths to Innovation
- XIRSYS Launches WebRTC Hosting Service
- 4.7 Billion Mobile WebRTC Devices by 2018
- WebRTC Update: HD Has Rolled Out To Hangouts
- Toshiba's VIPedge Cloud-based Business Telephone Solution Available to National Accounts via Authorized Dealer Network
- Vidyo and Google Collaborate on WebRTC
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- Sun Blew its "iPhone" Java Opportunity to AJAX
- Building an iPhone Application with Adobe AIR
- iPhone Will Make Mobile AJAX and Web 2.0 Happen
- AJAXWorld Conference Adds "iPhone Developer Track"
- Kindle 2 vs Nook
- Why Build Applications for the iPhone and iPod Touch?
- Designing For the "iPhone" Is a Refreshing Experience
- Android: Who Hates Google Over the Phone?
- Apple iPad Reminds Us How Brands Succeed by Transforming Experiences
- The Cloud Computing Kettle Heats Right Up